Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Deli on Main

I recently ran across my 4th grade class photo, when I lived in the country outside the tiny village of Shiloh, Ohio.  Two of my classmates were Amish kids then.  So I grew up eating Amish noodles and homemade Amish breads as a kid.

The Deli on Main, at 234 North Main in downtown Kernersville, takes me back to those days.  It's run by a lady named Jo, who's always super busy, but never to busy to pop her head out of the kitchen and say "Hi."  Deli on Main functions mostly as a great little sandwich shop.  They carry Troyer deli meats and cheeses, which you can have fresh on a sandwich or have sliced to take home.  In addition Jo makes a wide assortment of cakes, pies and desserts.  The carrot cake is amazing, as are the other desserts I've tried.  I usually opt for the Sub Club sandwich myself, stacked with turkey, ham, bacon and the fixings, so I rarely have room for dessert.  Jo also does deli trays and other items for meetings, parties or events.

Deli on Main also has many flavors of ice cream cones available, as well as Amish noodles, Amish Wedding brand pickles, relishes and condiments, and spices.  You can find them on Instagram at @DelionMain or at DeliOnMain.biz.  Up by the cash register you'll see a couple of photos of Amish horse and buggies.  I took those in 2010 while visiting Silver Creek in Ohio's Amish country.



No comments:

Post a Comment